Period Property for Sale in Co. Cork

St. Olan’s, Coachford, Co. Cork
A handsome Georgian rectory dated 1840 with impressive
accommodation and surrounded by wonderful grounds and gardens

St. Olan's is a four bay house providing well-proportioned accommodation arranged over three storeys and extending to over 470 sq metres (5000 sq ft). The raised ground floor includes two fine interlinked reception rooms running across the entire house front which overlook the grounds, together with an impressive barrel-vaulted staircase hall lit by large arched window. The rear yard has traditional outbuildings which have been recently converted to provide three character self-contained cottages. The house occupies a secluded private position surrounded by mature tree and gardens.

The accommodation includes an entrance hall, staircase hall, drawing room, dining room, sitting room, games room, breakfast/sun room, study, kitchen, utility, office, cloakroom, five bedrooms and three bathrooms. Outside there is a house yard, rear courtyard with three cottages, and a separate service yard with garaging and boat storage. The lands are in paddocks and include a mixture of woodland and amenity. There is also a private lake and in all the property is on about 4.05 hectares (10 acres).

The three delightful cottages were converted from the original coach house (The Coach House - 3 beds) and stable buildings (The Stables - 4 beds, Robin’s Nest - 1 bed). They have their own separate access almost immediately off the public road from the rear drive and are served by a large graveled courtyard. All are currently let on short-term leases. The garage yard comprises of three detached Heritage Oak buildings - two with three garages in each and a third housing three stables. A modern steel shed behind these is used for boat storage.

The private and mature landscaped gardens and grounds are a particular feature of the property. Laid out in the 19th century they offer a high degree of shelter and seclusion being wooded in the main and including specimen cedar, beech, oak and rhododendron. To the front and sides of the house are lawns with a croquet lawn, interspersed with shrub borders. A spring fed private lake is ringed by camellias and rhododendrons.

St.Olan’s is located in a scenic rural area of the picturesque River Lee Valley in mid Cork, a region of rich undulating farmland and wooded glens centered on the Inniscarra Reservoir, noted for its fishing, sailing and water sports. Cork city and International Airport are within easy reach. Coachford provides local amenities whilst Macroom provides a comprehensive range of shopping, leisure and financial services together with pubs and restaurants.

There are many leisure and sporting amenities nearby together with a peaceful pace of life. This area provides some of the finest fishing to the Rivers Lee and Bandon and golf at Killarney, Macroom, Blarney and Lee Valley. The lakes and mountains of Killarney together with the beaches of West Cork are all within an hours drive. Hunting is with the Muskerry and South Union with racing at Mallow (Cork Race Course) and Killarney.

Published in 1837, Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of Ireland states that a glebe of 30 acres was purchased at Ahavrin by The Board of First Fruits to build a rectory. On the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1842, the erection date of the property is given as c. 1840 and is labelled as St. Olan’s Rectory. Interestingly, it is noted also that the rector did not initially take possession as he felt the annual rental was too high.

Price:SALE AGREED
Last update: 12th April 2016
Contact: Michael Daniels
Tel.: +353 (0)25 31023
Email: mhdanielsandco@eircom.net
Click here to download PDF brochure...

<back