Period Property for Sale in Co. Offaly

Liss Church & School House, Grogan, Ballycumber, Co. Offaly
Former Church of Ireland church with full planning for a residence plus former school house

This property is a former Church of Ireland church which has full planning permission to refurbish the interior and to change the use to residential (work in progress). A granite former school house is also included in the sale which is directly opposite the church.

Built c.1820 this is a three bay, single cell church with a west tower, built of coursed rubble limestone with diamond-shaped narrow pointed windows. The west tower has three stages, pinnacles and crennelations and is very nicely placed opposite the gable-ended, granite four bay former primary school. The tower is flanked by sweeping wrought-iron railings set on a tooled stone plinth with gates. The church is on c.0.067ha (c.0.16 acres) and is approximately 139 sqm (1500 sqft).

The inside of the church had been left vacant for a number of years but retained many of its original features including the stone spiral staircase which leads to the belfry. Work on a new internal layout has begun and the pulpit is still intact with the Telford pipe organ. The original heating system still works. The church and school house are an integral part of the locality's architectural heritage.

The septic tank is in the grounds of the school house and was used for the church as well but now there is planning permission for connection to a new effluent treatment system for the church. Both properties are connected to the local water system.

The two Harry Clarke stained windows are a magnificent feature in the church. The first window was commissioned by Mrs. Mulock in 1928 and was completed by Clarke in 1929. The second window was based on the original design by Clarke and was completed c.1932 by the studios after his death.

Harry Clarke (1889 to 1931) was undoubtedly Ireland's greatest stained glass artist. Internationally the name of Harry Clarke is synonymous with quality craftsmanship and imaginative genius in his stained glass work. His use of deep rich colours, his delicate depiction of beautiful elongated figures with their finely carved features and deep expressive eyes, is indeed magical to behold. During his short life Harry created over 160 stained glass windows for religious and commercial commissions throughout Ireland and England, and as far a field as the USA and Australia. His most seen work in Ireland is at Bewleys Café on Grafton Street in Dublin.

The school house is a detached four-bay single-storey, granite, former primary school, built c.1840, with return and extension to rear. The primary school is now disused and is a listed property set within its own grounds on the opposite side of the road to the church. The property needs complete refurbishment inside, is on c.0.067ha(c.0.16 acres) and is approximately 66 sqm (714 sqft).

Though modest in design, the architectural form of this former national school is enhanced by the retention of many original features and materials such as the decorative windows and battened door. The simple façade of the building is enlivened by the use of contrasting yellow brick window and door surrounds to the limestone walls, thus creating textural variation.

Price: €150,000
Last update: 10th April 2015
Contact: Property Team.ie, Lappin Estates
Email: paul@lappinestates.com
Phone: +353 (0)1 8825730

<back